Who we are
Water: a Common Good!
· December 7 - ICE water campaign, exhibition and concert
· Firenze 10+10 ends: call for action and road-map
· Sacred visions on water, European Parliamant, November 19
· European Water Movement Assembly at Firenze 10+10, 9th November
· Conference of Riccardo Petrella, invited by the French association H2O (in French)
· video of the ECI "Water and sanitation are a human right!" campaign
· Invitation to the European Water Assembly in Firenze 10+10
· Argentina : Claim to include the right to water into the civil code (in spanish)
· La terre: un bien commun’autre ?
· Resource against human right (in French)
· The InterAction Council denies the human right to water in its recommendations
· Projection Tour of "Catastroika" in Belgium
· Drinking fountains in the Walloon area of Belgium: the return? (in French)
· The Constitutional Court blocks the privatization of water and local public services - July 20
· Agua Boa : pré-inscription pour "Les vigies européennes de l'eau"
· Press (French) - Pérou: Humala propose une réforme constitutionnelle pour le droit à l'eau
· RAMPEDRE - press (French) : A la source d'un projet mondial
· Young active citizens up 5 to 18 years old are calling for a healthy water management
· Une Alliance pour aider les collectivités à revenir en gestion publique de l’eau
· Diario La Capital - "Lo que dejó la ONU, un Río – 20"
· Chasquis anuncian marcha de la bandera a Lima
· National Water Day in Morocco, organised by the ACME : 2012 Edition (in French)
· Presentation of RAMPEDRE at the Peoples' Summit - Cúpula dos Povos (Rio de Janeiro, June 2012)
· July 28th as a World Water Day in stead of March 22th!
· The IERPE at the Blue Pavilion of the Peoples' Summit
· Final Declaration of the Assembly of water movements gathered at the Peoples' Summit
· article l'Humanité - "La concrétisation du droit à l’eau reste encore à gagner"
· Est Ensemble : une victoire qui en appelle d’autres !
· Rampedre and Pacto Publico del Agua de Rosario at the People's Summit during Rio+20, June 15 et 16
· From 15.06 to 23.06 - People's Summit during Rio+20
25.05 - MEPs call for high-level EU human rights envoy External relations
· May 22, International Day for (Marine) Biological Diversity
· Via Campesina - Rio+20: International campaign of struggles, Peoples of the World against the Commodification of Nature
· Water Bills and the Right to Water (in French)
· Riccardo Petrella, feature speaker for the 2012 Intl Summit of Cooperatives, on the role of cooperatives
· Direito à água é garantido no texto base da Rio+20, mas princípios sociais seguem enfraquecidos nas definições da economia verde. (André Abreu, Fundação France Libertés, 27 de abril de 2012)
· Ecuador: Plurinational March for Life, Water, and Dignity
· 24 mai, European Parliament - 24/04/2012 @ 13:00"> 1st Assembly of the ECI "Water for citizens'" associative platform > 24 mai, European Parliament
· Red Agua Publica: a new network against the merchandization of water
· Du Forum alternatif mondial de l’eau à Rio + 20
· Ecodialogues of Vigan: thinking man in his environment - from 9 to 13 May 2012
· Let support the Ecuadorian march for water and for life!
· Defender el agua es defender la vida. Basta de extractivismo y de criminalización
· I fontanelli alle Olimpiadi 2012 - Publiacqua esporta a Londra
· Great success for the Alternative World Water Forum!
· European countries against the right to water: Open letter to the European Parlementaries
· News from the Alternative World Water Forum
· The European Network of Cities and Water contributes to the Aubagne Appeal
· The IERPE is at the Alternative World Water Forum
· Water, a common asset of Humanity: an issue at stake for the right to the city
· This Friday 3 Feb.: Support Party for the Alternative World Water Forum at Mundo-B (Brussels)
Copenhagen - COP 15
Peace with Water
Seminar 6/7 March 2008
7 visitors online
25.05 - MEPs call for high-level EU human rights envoy External relations - by flebecq 30/05/2012 @ 12:51
The Foreign Affairs committee called on the Council on Thursday to appoint a high-level envoy with an international reputation, tasked with raising the EU's human rights profile worldwide, to the new post of EU Special Representative for Human Rights created in line with the EP's repeated demands.
The recommendation adopted on Thursday insists that the candidate for the post, nominated by High Representative Catherine Ashton, should attend a hearing at Parliament, before being formally appointed by the Council. The EP must have a role in the appointment procedure of this, the first ever thematic EUSR, say MEPs.
MEPs say this new human rights envoy must have a strong, independent and flexible mandate, which should not be narrowed down to specific responsibilities.
In its recommendation, the committee says the mandate should reflect EU human rights policy and cover areas that include strengthening democracy, international justice, international humanitarian law, abolition of the death penalty, freedom of expression, gender issues and children and armed conflict.
The EUSR for HR will be expected to engage with the UN, chair high-level human rights dialogues and lead consultations with third countries on human rights issues, says the committee.
The EUSR for HR should have extensive experience and a proven track record in the field of human rights, as well as being well known on the international stage. The committee advocates a renewable mandate of two-and-a-half years, and says that Parliament should be consulted as part of the renewal process.
The committee also underlines the importance of allocating sufficient financial resources and staff to the EUSR for HR, who should be responsible for setting up the team, it says.
Parliament will vote on the recommendation in plenary session in June.
The appointment of the EUSR for HR and the establishment of his/her mandate is formally a Council decision based on a proposal by the EU High Representative. The appointment is expected to be made by the Foreign Affairs Council on 25 June, as part of the so-called "human rights review" package.
In the chair : Elmar Brok (EPP, DE)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.